In an interview with the Indy Star, John Green spoke about the upcoming film adaptation of his novel – The Fault in Our Stars. He spoke about Shailene Woodley, who is playing Hazel, being such a unique star, and unabashedly herself. “You’re not allowed to be weird in Hollywood, because it’s bad for your career to be weird,” Green said. “And so, I feel like every image we get of every actor and actress is so sort of vanilla-fied. Even really lovely people whose personalities come out at times, it’s really difficult to sense them as people. Shailene is the exact opposite. She is unabashedly herself and weird and passionate.”
He also confirms that he will have a cameo in the movie, saying that he said “Yes” to the director after sleeping on the idea! So, I thought I’d come up with a few ideas for where John could be a part of the film. Where would you like to see John?
1. He could be a strange man in the airport, videotaping himself (vlogging for the vlogbrothers)!
2. The man who comes to pick up the swing set.
3. He could be the man telling Hazel and Gus that the “beautiful couple is beautiful” while they eat at Oranjee.
4. He and his son Henry could be the child who comes up to Hazel to ask about her canulla, and the parent that comes to take the child away.
5. He could be the support group leader!
6. He could be at the Anne Frank house, watching Hazel and Augustus kiss.
7. He could be the taxi driver when Hazel, Augustus, and Hazel’s mom arrive in Amsterdam.
8. An attendee of the funeral at the end of the movie. (I’m hoping for a happier cameo!)
9. If they show flash scenes of An Imperial Affliction, John could be the Dutch Tulip Man.
10. John could be a parent that is coming to pick up a child from the support group.